Friday, May 19, 2017

Book Review: A Year of Devotions with the Women of the Bible

I have never been the kind of person who has a daily spiritual practice. Although I admire the friends who get up early to meditate every day, I seem to pray better by the seat of my pants.

So, even though I never work my way methodically all the way through books of daily devotions, I love to dive into them from time to time. Gennifer Benjamin Brooks' Bible Sisters, A Year of Devotions with the Women of the Bible rewards this method.

The devotions are numbered, rather than dated, so you can open the book and begin anywhere.  There are fresh looks at familiar women like Mary Magdelene, Eve and the Samaritan Woman at the Well, as well as introductions to others who are less familiar.  If I had learned the names of the daughters of Zelophehad (introduced in Days 60-65), for instance, I have long forgotten them.  There is a helpful index at the back, in case there is a particular woman you would like pray with or learn more about.  People interested in learning more about the women of the Bible, praying with them and exploring their forgotten stories will enjoy this book.

I received a copy of this book in exchange for a fair review, and an additional copy to give away for free! Share the name of YOUR favorite Biblical woman in the comments  in the review posted on my facebook page by TUESDAY MAY 23, 2017 and I'll put you in a drawing to mail (or deliver!) the book to you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment